Schistosomiasis, also known as bilharzia, is a disease caused by parasitic worms of the gender Schistosoma. In terms of impact this disease is second only to malaria as the most devastating parasitic disease. Schistosomiasis is considered one of the Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs).The parasites that cause schistosomiasis live in certain types of freshwater snails. The infectious form of the parasite, known as cercariae, emerge from the snail into the water. You can become infected when your skin comes in contact with contaminated freshwater. Most human infections are caused by Schistosoma mansoni, Schistosoma haematobium, or Schistosoma japonicum.
Areas where human schistosomiasis is found include:
- Schistosoma mansoni
- Distributed throughout Africa: There is risk of infection in freshwater in southern and sub-Saharan Africa–including the great lakes and rivers as well as smaller bodies of water. Transmission also occurs in the Nile River valley in Sudan and Egypt.
- South America: Including Brazil, Suriname, and Venezuela.
- Schistosoma haematobium
- Distributed throughout Africa: There is risk of infection in freshwater in southern and sub-Saharan Africa–including the great lakes and rivers as well as smaller bodies of water. Transmission also occurs in the Nile River valley in Egypt and the Mahgreb region of North Africa.
- Found in areas of the Middle East.
- A recent focus of ongoing transmission has been identified in Corsica.
- Schistosoma japonicum
- Found in Indonesia and parts of China and Southeast Asia.
The IHPE is known for his ability to maintain the complete cycle of many strains of Schistosomes. ParaDev have the necessary infrastructure for the maintain of the parasites and for the different antigens production :
- SM01 : Schistosoma mansoni, dried adult worms
- SM02 : Schistosoma mansoni, SWAP (soluble worms adults proteins)
- SM03 : Schistosoma mansoni, SEA (soluble eggs antigens)
- SM04 : Schistosoma mansoni, eggs in formol solution
- SM05 : Schistosoma mansoni, frozen adult worms
- SM06 : Schistosoma mansoni, dried eggs
- SM07 : Schistosoma mansoni, frozen eggs
- SM08 : Schistosoma mansoni, gDNA
We could propose cDNA from different life stages of the parasite
- SH01 : Schistosoma haematobium, dried adult worms
- SH02 : Schistosoma haematobium, frozen adult worms